Saturday, August 14, 2010

I write, therefore I read

I've found that one of the best ways to better my writing skills is to read and read some more. I enjoy books in a variety of genres and try to switch it up as much as I can.

I don't plan for this to become a book review blog, but I will probably add a tab up top for my recent reads in case anyone has also read the same book and would like to discuss or is thinking about reading it and wants a recommendation.

I'm also a member of Goodreads, a great website for reading and writing book reviews as wells as getting recommendations from other avid readers.

Over the past several months, I've read:

Up in the Air by Walter Kirn
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer
A Soft Place to Land by Susan Rebecca White
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

I also just finished re-reading The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Even though I haven't read a lot of it lately, I do enjoy a lot of YA books. This series has been one of my favorites, and I'm looking forward to the third and final book in the series, Mockingjay, to be released this month.

When I was a kid, I was a huge Christopher Pike fan. In fact, at one point my life's ambition was to grow up and adapt all of his novels into screenplays, especially my favorites Whisper of Death, Remember Me, and Scavenger Hunt. As a pre-teen and teenager, I was obsessed with Stephen King, and I still own most of his books. Just last year I read his new epic tale Under the Dome, which was amazing.

My friend Katie just sent me a nice box of books, some ARC's, to read and recommend if I like them. I just started I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman and it's already getting good just a couple of chapters in.

When I start posting links to writing blogs, I'll be sure to post some to my favorite book review blogs as well so let me know if you want me to check yours out!

No comments:

Post a Comment